Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Day of Summer Cupcakes!

My daughter has been asking to make cupcakes when the first day of summer comes for a few weeks now.  I had forgotten about it until last night, so we made these today.  (The first day of summer!)  She abandoned me for the pool, but I made the actual cupcakes while she was gone and then we frosted and decorated them together when she got back. 

I googled Summer Cupcakes and found this blog showing these.  I thought they were cute, and I had a stray bag of candy corns leftover from Halloween anyway.  They were easy to make, which was a plus!  I have some little drink umbrellas on the way from Oriental Trading; sadly they are not here yet, because they would have been cute on these!

I used this recipe, just omitting the lemon.  I was just in too much of a hurry today to take the extra steps of juicing and zesting the lemon, so I just did these vanilla.  Lemon would be great for summer though, and the frosting is yellow anyway!  That recipe for yogurt cupcakes is my go-to recipe for any vanilla cupcakes.  I also mention it here

Sunshine Cupcakes
idea from here

12-15 vanilla or lemon-flavored cupcakes, baked in yellow liners, if possible
1-2 cups of yellow (vanilla or lemon) frosting
1 bag (about 16 oz.) candy corns
1-2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
Red or pink sprinkles, or pink/red thin licorice

1.  Frost cupcakes with yellow frosting.  Add candy corns around the cupcake for the rays of sunshine.  Add inverted mini chocolate chips for eyes.  Form a smiley mouth with sprinkles or a thin strip of red or pink licorice. 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Aaww those are so perfect for the first day of summer :) I just posted a recipe for ice cream cone cupcakes..Have you made those? they are fun to make and come out so cute.

i wish we had summer weather over here,but we dont. It's cold and raining on and off :(