Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Simple Strawberry Ice Cream

 I made this recipe a few days after I saw it.  It was too easy not to!  ;)  Plus homemade ice cream always gets eaten up pretty quickly in my fam.  There is no cooking, or egg yolks involved in this recipe.  I chose to strain the seeds out of my strawberries but I don't think it was necessary.  I used half fresh and half frozen (thawed) strawberries for this- only a tiny bit of fresh berries were to be found here.  :(  We all loved this! 

Simple Strawberry Ice Cream
adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody

1 pint fresh strawberries (about 2 cups)
½ cup whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
pinch salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
seeds from one vanilla bean, optional

1.  Put the strawberries into a blender and puree.  You can strain if you do not want the seeds.  Set aside.  I used my immersion blender.

2.  In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.  Stir in reserved strawberries with all juices.  Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.

3.  Freeze ice cream according to manufacturer's directions.  The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture when done. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: