Monday, November 19, 2012

Apple Crisp

I made this Apple Crisp to go with the Maple Gelato last week.   This is from that same blog, too.  What a lovely combination!!  Especially when the gelato melted into the warm apple crisp.  I highly recommend this.  :)  Maybe even for Thanksgiving!  I'm not an Apple Pie person; but I love me some apple crisp with ice cream. 
The apple crisp pictured is an individual serving I made from part of one apple and some of the crumble topping I had set aside.  When I made a whole pan of this for company, every last bit was eaten, so I had to bake this little guy the next day for photography purposes.  :)  And eating purposes. 

This apple crisp had pecans in the recipe, but I subbed oats for them because 1) we were having company and so many people don't like nuts (or are allergic), and 2) I love oats in fruit crisps and really wanted some in there.  I cut the recipe in half, but I shouldn't have- I'll include the full recipe below.  :)
Apple Crisp
adapted from Ezra Pound Cake

Filling:
3 pounds tart apples
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Topping:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans OR old-fashioned oats
ice cream, for serving

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.  Peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4-inch wedges, and place them in an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.  Toss apple slices with the lemon juice.  (To slice apples- I used my apple slicer kitchen tool; then cut each slice in half length-wise so they were thin enough.)  In a small bowl, combine the sugar and spices, and sprinkle over the apples. 
3.  In a separate bowl, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is coarsely blended (I used a pastry blender). Mix in the sugar, salt, and pecans or oats. (The mixture should be crumbly.)  Place the topping on top of the apple mixture, and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is browned and the liquid in the apples is dark. Serve warm with ice cream.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sonya said...

There is something so comforting about an apple crips. I am behind on making mine..must remedy that soon :) Have a great week!