Monday, November 5, 2012

El Salvadorian Pupusas de Queso con Curtido

A few years ago, my husband and I were talking about the foods he ate in New York City while he lived there as a missionary for our church.  He started describing Pupusas and I have never heard of anything like them before.  We had this conversation about 5-6 years ago, and I tried looking up recipes online back then, but didn't find much at all.  Well, a few weeks ago, I spotted this recipe, through Tastespotting.com, I believe.  I was so excited!  Then I Googled pupusas and there are a lot more recipes out there now!  Thank goodness for the internet and food blogs.  :) 
I was eager to try this recipe because it was so straight-forward and simple.  The pictures of the process made it easy to understand, as well.  I'm happy to say these turned out really well!  I served this with Curtido (cabbage slaw) and I wasn't crazy about the curtido.  I would just not make it next time, but serve the pupusas with some veggies or salad.  Also, my husband was remembering as we were eating- he said he remembered eating these with some beans and some kind of meat.  So beans, at least, will be on the menu for next time! 

Note: I'm putting this in the "Tacos" category, even though I know  they're not!  Just kinda similar.  :)

Pupusas de Queso con Curtido
adapted from Simply Life

Pupusas:
2 cups masa harina (found in the flour or ethnic section of store)
Pinch of salt
1 1/3 cup warm water
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (or other preferred cheese)
1-2 tbs. oil, plus more for keeping hands oiled
 
Curtido:
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, grated (use a vegetable peeler)
1 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. dried oregano
Pinch red pepper flakes
 
For the Pupusas:
1. Mix together masa harina, salt and water. Knead to form a smooth, moist dough (if the mixture is too dry, add a touch more water; if the mixture is too sticky, add a touch more masa harina). Cover the bowl with a cloth and let stand for 10 minutes.
 
2. With lightly oiled hands, form the dough into 8 balls that are about 2 inches in diameter. Using your thumb, make an indentation into one of the balls, forming a small hole. Fill the hole with 1 tablespoon of cheese and wrap the dough around the filling to seal it. Pat the dough back and forth between your hands to form a round, flattened disk about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining balls, making sure to keep your hands lightly oiled throughout the entire process.
 
3. Heat 1 tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high. Cook the pupusas for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown, adding additional oil to skillet if needed. Serve warm with curtido (recipe below) on the side, or beans, and enjoy!
 
For the Curtido:
1. Combine the cabbage, carrot, and pepper in a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour over the cabbage mixture and toss together. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, serve and enjoy!

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: