Saturday, November 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Pie, Version Two

I first made this pie back in 2010.  I followed the original recipe then, using Cool Whip.  My daughter was begging me to make this again, but I did not want to use the dreaded Cool Whip this time.  Instead, I just made homemade whipped cream and stabilized it with some gelatin.  I'm not sure if this is necessary or not; I kind of want to try it again and not do this step, because it was extra work and I didn't do it quickly enough; there were some unfortunate chunks of gelatin in this.  Lol! 

This time, I made a homemade Oreo crust like the recipe suggests and didn't use a store bought crumb crust.  The Oreo crust is SO much better!!  It makes too much mixture for just the crust though, so we ate the rest of it sprinkled over the top of the pie. 
Now for the scary truth- this pie is very good this way, with the real whipped cream, and my fam loved it (minus the gelatin chunks), but I actually prefer the texture and lightness of using the Cool Whip!  (How embarrasing).  It was just lighter and fluffier and air-ier with the Cool Whip!  Gosh darn it all.  Original recipe can be found here.  You decide!

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Pie II
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen via Myself

Crust:
25 Oreos
4 tablespoons butter, melted

1.  Crush the Oreos until they’re fine crumbs (food processor is good). Pour melted butter over the top and stir with a fork to combine. Press into pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.  (You may have some mixture leftover; made too much for my pie pan.)

Filling:
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 (8-ounce) package softened cream cheese
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

For stabilized whipped cream:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
2/3 or 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar

1.  Make the stablized whipped cream:  In a small pan, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until thick.  Place over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the gelatin dissolves.  Remove from heat; cool just slightly- a few minutes (do NOT allow it to set).  Whip the cream with the icing sugar, until slightly thick.  While slowly beating, add the gelatin to whipping cream.  Whip at high speed until stiff.

2.  Add the peanut butter and cream cheese- beat until smooth, but not too long; you do not want to deflate the whipped cream. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.

3.  Pour filling into crust, evening out the top with a knife or spatula. Chill for at least an hour before serving. (It’s better the longer it sits in the fridge- mine was in there 4-5 hours). Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Sonya said...

I already love your version better since they dont sell cool Whip here..so pinning this :)

Manu said...

This looks delicious!!!
Have a lovely evening

What a Dish! said...

Thank you for the comments! Sonya I hope you try it. I want to try Dulce de Leche next. :)