Friday, March 1, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Gelato

PB Gelato
In our pantry, we had some Dark-Chocolate Flavored Peanut Butter that nobody was using.  I was tired of seeing it there, so I put an end to its unfulfilled life by making ice cream with it.  The ice cream was very, very good.  I took the base recipe for Giada's Nutella Gelato and just subbed my Dark Choc PB for the Nutella.  I have used the same recipe for just peanut butter, and that is divine as well.  The word Gelato here refers to the fact that this ice cream contains more whole milk than heavy cream.  Because of the Peanut Butter though, this is still rich and creamy.  I know that to make "real" gelato, the freezing process is different than what I'm doing here at home (just using my ice cream maker) but I'm calling it Gelato anyway.  :) 

We topped servings with Trader Joe's Mini Peanut Butter cups sent to us from my sister; they were so good!  This was a wonderful combo.  I've been in an ice-cream making mood for some reason lately; last week I made homemade Cookies and Cream and today, Chocolate.  Somebody stop me!!
PB Gelato
Chocolate Peanut Butter Gelato
adapted from Giada and other recipes

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup smooth chocolate peanut butter

1. In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. (A Kitchenaid is handy for this- I set mine near the stove). Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 3 to 7 minutes. (160-170 degrees F on a candy or meat thermometer).

3. Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Whisk in the vanilla and chocolate peanut buter until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. Transer into a freezer-safe container, and freeze until hardened.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: