Saturday, December 27, 2008

Spaetzle with Ham

After being gone all day, I wanted to make something for dinner that would be fast, but satisfying. My parents live in Germany, and they send me bags of (dry) famous German spaetzle. Spaetzle is really yummy if you make it yourself, but I haven't dived into that culinary challenge yet. The commercially prepared stuff works fine for me! I made a recipe that combined spaetzle with my leftover Christmas sprial-cut ham. I adapted it from a German/Austrian cookbook. If you can't find spaetzle, use any size of egg noodle, or whatever pasta suits your fancy! I imagine this would be good with bowties, too. One could use less ham, if desired.

Spaetzle with Ham

1/3 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups cubed, cooked ham
8 ounces spaetzle or other noodles
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1-2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives

Boil spaetzle or pasta according to package directions. Drain. Meanwhile, heat butter in large skillet, and saute onion until soft and slightly golden. Add ham and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients (including spaetzle) and toss together. Cook for 2 minutes more or until heated through, stirring frequently.

3 comments:

Linda said...

My mouth is watering. I don't have spaetzle, but I do have leftover ham, pasta, and of course buttah. I know what we'll be having today :))

Anonymous said...

Dish, you have solved my dinner dilemma! That is perfect! Thank you so much.

Lawsy Mercy said...

This looks like a great answer to my no time to cook but want something hot and homemade evenings after work. Thanks for the post!