Friday, March 6, 2009

Homemade Reeses Bars


My mom made a really delicious version of these Reese-like bars growing up, and someday I'll post her recipe. I didn't have enough peanut butter on hand the other day to make hers, so I made these ones instead. They are so good- I used natural peanut butter, and you must store these in the refrigerator, or they'll be a gooey mess. Also, I used a mix of milk and semi-sweet chocolate in the topping, and I added some natural peanut butter to that too. The mix didn't melt smoothly, probably because of the rougher texture of the peanut butter, but it's still very yummy, even if it's not perfectly smooth and shiny.

Homemade Reeses Bars

1 cup butter, softened
1 packet (about 8-9) whole graham crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter , graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until well blended. Whip until light and fluffy. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan. In a metal or glass bowl over very hot water (almost simmering), melt the chocolate chips with the peanut butter and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Spread over the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

17 comments:

Shelby said...

OH looks so good! I have contemplated making peanut butter bars myself recently. I need to get me some graham crackers!

Carrie said...

Those look great! I once made homemade Reese cups with muffin liners, I love chocolate and peanut butter, mmm!

Cannwin said...

I've always loved these things... when I was a kid they'd serve them at school lunch and if you happened to be the class on lunch duty that day the trick was to request garbage detail cause then you'd be the very last kids to go back to class and the lunch ladies would be so proud of you for asking to do garbage that they'd give you an extra one. *sigh* I've never written down this recipe cause I'm afraid my hips wouldn't survive if I knew it, so I just eat a lot when someone else makes them.

I'm that way with fudge too.

ICECrush said...

Ah I've seen these before! They look so good!

Linda said...

Oh dear, I have graham cracker crumbs and hubby loves peanut butter cups. Yours are luscious-looking!

test it comm said...

Those Reese bars look really good!

Kastina said...

Oooh wow. These look too good to be true.

Thank yo so much for sharing!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, I think they look wonderful. I love the combo of peanut butter and chocolate.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

I need one of these right now! They look delicious.

Alyson's Wonderland said...

Oh I definitely need to make these!

LadyJayPee said...

I love Reeses to pieces!

Sandy Smith said...

These look like real crowd pleasers ~ so delicious! Am saving this recipe!

Nancy said...

This looks super-yum. Am adding it to my internet "Favorite" sites right now so I can make this soon!

NanAppetit said...

I gave these bars a glowing "recipe review" (Awesome Find) on my blog today and I linked my post back to your site. Thanks again!!!

What a Dish! said...

Thanks ladies! Nan, so glad you liked them! Yours look yummy!

Annette W. said...

Did you ever share your mom's recipe? Which do you prefer? I would love to have both recipes!

What a Dish! said...

Annette- thanks for the reminder! I have not yet posted my mom's recipe. Next time I make a sweet though, I think I will post it! I'm trying to recover from the holiday sugar-rush right now, lol!