Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chocolate Sunflower Seed Spread

This is like a sunflower-seed version of nutella!!  For some reason, I'm really into making different jams/spreads/nut butters lately (just made plain homemade peanut butter and more white chocolate peanut butter).  That white chocolate pb only lasted a few days because it seems someone ate it with a spoon everytime they were in the kitchen..... wonder who that was.  Anyway, this choc. sunflower seed spread was the same way- it didn't last long because we kept eating it with a spoon!  I think some actually made it onto toast, and I made a few school sandwiches for the kids with it.  Everyone liked it!  I actually don't like nutella that much, but I love this!

I made it almost exactly like the original recipe, but I did cut the sugar in half.  I kept this in an airtight container at room temp.  If you are keeping it longer than a few days, you may want to store it in the fridge, but I'm no expert.  Enjoy this sunflower spread/butter!  Sunflower butter is great for sending to schools with peanut bans, or for anyone with a peanut allergy.  Next, I want to try making just plain sunflower butter.  My husband loves it, and it's really healthy for you.  We buy it online, but it is expensive!

Chocolate Sunflower Seed Spread
adpated from Let's Get Cooking

1 cup sunflower seeds
4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4-6 teaspoons sunflower or canola oil

1.  Place sunflower seeds in food processor and process until almost powdery. (If you want a chunkier spread, don’t process quite as long). Add enough vegetable oil to form a smooth, soft paste. Pour in the melted chocolate, pulsing until smooth. Add powdered sugar, pulsing until it forms a smooth, spreadable consistency.  Store in airtight container. 
Makes: 1 cup
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

1 comment:

LadyJayPee said...

How interesting. We have a little one in the fam who has a peanut allergy. I'll have to passt this on!