Friday, January 25, 2013

Chicken Alfredo Pizza


pizza6W
This was a delicious pizza.  I've always wanted to make an Alfredo pizza, and finally did it when I saw this delicious-looking recipe over on Cooking Classy.  You make a delicious Alfredo sauce and use it to top your favorite (or store-bought) pizza crust.  The sauce is so good that I think I want to make it just to put over pasta sometime.  This pizza is also topped with grilled chicken, cooked bacon, and chopped green onions.  Very, very rich and flavorful!  
pizza4W
For the crust, I just made a batch of my Pizza Hut copycat pizza dough and used about 12-14 oz of that.  (With the rest of the dough, I just made normal deep-dish pizzas with pepperoni and red sauce for the kids.  They were weird about the Alfredo pizza, as expected.)

pizza1W
My oven is tiny, like really tiny (only 16 inches across, lol.)  So, I have a small pizza stone.  I think 12 or 13 inches.  So, that's why I didn't use a full pound of dough.  My pizza was only 11 or 12 inches.  Because of this, I didn't end up using all the Alfredo sauce.  Next time, I'd reduce it, but for a 16-inch pizza, you will probably want the full amount.  The directions below will be the original recipe, though, for a 16-inch.  For my smaller pizza, I'd just go with the 1/2 cup of milk and cream and skip the extra 2 Tbs.  I'd also reduce the Parm a bit.  Although, the sauce was so good, I had no problem just eating the excess with a spoon. 

I don't have a pizza peel, so when I use my pizza stone, I prepare the dough on parchment paper and then just carefully transfer the whole thing onto my hot stone. 

Chicken Alfredo Pizza
adapted from Cooking Classy
Makes one 14-16-inch pizza

1 lb pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
1 1/2 cups cooked or grilled, shredded chicken
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp whole milk
2 oz finely shredded Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
cornmeal, for dusting
4 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped green onions
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a pizza stone in center of oven to heat while preparing toppings for pizza (for at least 30 minutes).
2.  Melt butter along with garlic powder and onion powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in cream and milk. Bring mixture just to a gentle bubble stirring constantly. Allow mixture to gently boil for 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add in Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste then return to warm heat and stir occasionally until ready to use.
3.  To assemble pizza: On a floured work surface (or on a sheet of parchment if you don't have a peel), flatten, stretch and shape pizza dough into a 13 to 14-inch round, while creating a thicker outer crust. Sprinkle a wooden pizza peel with flour and cornmeal and transfer shaped dough to pizza peel, reshaping dough as need. Remove pizza stone from oven, sprinkle lightly with cornmeal then carefully slide shaped pizza dough from pizza peel onto hot pizza stone. (Or transfer your sheet of parchment + dough onto your hot stone.) 
3.  Pour half of the Alfredo sauce over dough round, then use the back of a spoon to spread into an even layer coming within about 1-inch of the edge. Sprinkle shredded chicken over sauce layer, then pour remaining sauce evenly over chicken. Sprinkle top evenly with Mozzarella cheese then sprinkle with chopped bacon. Brush outer crust with olive oil and season crust lightly with a pinch of garlic powder and salt. Bake in preheated oven 14 - 16 minutes until crust is nicely golden. Remove from oven, garnish top evenly with green onions, cut into slices and serve warm.
pizza7W
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gonna have to try this!

What a Dish! said...

I hope you do and like it!