Friday, December 20, 2013

Hot Chicken Salad

My mom made something similar to this when I was in high school and I really liked it.  I made this recipe about 7-8 years ago and my husband and I enjoyed it very much, but I haven't made it since- I just kind of forgot about it.  Right after Thanksgiving, I made this to use up the bulk of what was left of our turkey.  It was a pleasant surprise to remember how much we liked it!  So I made it again last week to take pics.  Instead of all the mayo in here, I use 2/3 or 3/4 cup Greek yogurt and 1/3 or 1/4 cup mayo.  The Greek yogurt goes really well with the flavors in here- along with the lemon juice, it adds a pleasant tangy-ness.
Hot Chicken Salad
adapted from Allrecipes

2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup cashews
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup mayonnaise (traditional way is to use all mayo- no yogurt)
1 small onion, grated or minced
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional (I would taste mixture before adding)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (or a few slices)
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers or potato chips

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).  In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, cashews, yogurt,  mayonnaise, onion, salt and lemon juice. Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish, then top with shredded cheese and potato chips or crackers.

2.  Bake, uncovered for, 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until heated through and bubbly.

** This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: