Shrimp & Corn Chowder
adapted from The Kitchn
6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
1 large sweet onion, diced small (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups (32 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes (about 1 pound total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
2-3 cups frozen corn kernels
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (or celery salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups whole or 2% milk
1 pound uncooked peeled and de-veined shrimp, tails removed*
1. Place the bacon in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until some of the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened and browned at the edges, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and onions to a bowl, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
3. Add the butter to the pan and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the butter is completely melted, about 1 minute. Add the flour and whisk until completely combined and the mixture forms a paste. Continue whisking until the flour mixture darkens to a golden blond, 2 to 3 minutes.Add the broth and whisk until it is completely incorporated into the flour mixture and there are no lumps.
4. Add the potatoes, carrots, corn, reserved bacon and onions, celery salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the milk and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high, cover, and bring to a gentle boil, about 3 minutes. Stir well, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
6. Add the shrimp and stir gently, making sure they are all submerged. Cover and cook until the shrimp are just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately ladle the chowder into bowls and serve.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **