Monday, December 30, 2019

Three-Bean Vegan Chili (Re-post)



I love this chili.  I first made it over 10 years ago and I made up the recipe back then.  I used to buy these boxes (not cans, lol) of Stagg's veggie chili.  I looked at the ingredients and made my own one time and kept doing it because I liked it so much.  It's a mix of beans, canned tomato products, and fresh veggies like bell peppers, carrots, and onions.  It cooks low and slow (lol) all day in the crockpot.  This is vegan if you don't use any of the optional dairy toppings.  Or, use vegan topping options.

I served this at a Halloween party this year and one of the guests was vegan.  It got her stamp of approval and non-vegan guests also loved this chili; they "couldn't even tell it was vegan".  Lol.  I also had this chicken chili  at the party and a lot of guests chose this vegan recipe, although that chicken one is also really, really good.  

This makes a lot; we eat it as chili the first day and as a topping for frito pies the next day.  I love frito pies!

Three-Bean Vegan Chili
from my original recipe here

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 (14.5 oz.) can whole petite diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 8 oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1-3 canned chipotles in adobo, chopped, optional
1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles, optional (I use chipotle paste from a squeeze tube now)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can red or white kidney beans, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, undrained
1-2 cups frozen corn
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoons dried basil
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
salt, to taste (I don't add any, on account of the canned products that contain salt)

Optional Garnishes:
shredded sharp Cheddar
plain greek yogurt or sour cream
chopped cilantro
tortilla chips

1. Put all ingredients (except garnishes) into a large crockpot; stir together. Cook on low about 5-8 hours, or until carrots are tender. Taste and add salt, if needed.  
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: