Monday, May 4, 2020

Big Sandwich


This is an old recipe from Taste of Home magazine.  My mom made it often in the 90's, when I was in high school.  I loved it then and I love it now.  I made it once or twice when me and my husband were first married, making it half at a time so we could semi-handle it.  Then I forgot about it.  I was going through all my old recipe boxes finding forgotten things to make during this pandemic, and I came across the recipe card for this bad boy!!  I was so excited and got the ingredients to make it the very next time I went to the store.  One of my kids wasn't a fan of this, but he's like that sometimes, and I still made it twice in two weeks.  Lol.  We ate it outside on a lovely spring night and it was just a wonderful experience. 

Use a long, serrated knife to cut the layers.  This is the hardest part, and don't worry if the layers aren't perfect and are really, really uneven- when it all bakes together it's delicious no matter what. 

Big Sandwich
adapted from Taste of Home

1 unsliced round loaf of bread (8 inches) *I use King's Hawaiian 
2 tablespoons honey mustard
1/4 pound thinly sliced cooked roast beef
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/4 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham or turkey
4 slices Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 small tomato, thinly sliced
6 bacon strips, cooked
4 slices Cheddar or Colby-Jack cheese
1 small onion, very thinly sliced (use a sweet white or red; can omit for kids)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon onion salt

1.  Slice bread horizontally into five equal layers. Spread bottom layer with honey mustard; top with roast beef. Place the next slice bread over beef; spread with mustard and top with ham or turkey and Swiss cheese. Add the next slice of bread; spread with mayonnaise and top with tomato and bacon. Add the next slice of bread; top with Cheddar cheese and onion. Cover with remaining bread. Combine butter, sesame seeds and onion salt; brush over top and sides of loaf. Place on a baking sheet; loosely tent with foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. (Check if cheese is melted and deli meat is warmed through).  Carefully slice into 8 wedges.



**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: