Friday, May 7, 2021

Baked Beans


I loved these baked beans so much that I made them twice recently.  I've always hesitated making baked beans before because they all require molasses, and I don't like molasses.  I finally just decided to make them anyway and sub the molasses with honey, and it was so good.  I wish I'd tried it before.

I cut this recipe in half because I knew my boys wouldn't really like it.  I made an 8x8 dish of this.  I used one large can and one regular can of pork and beans.  I'll post my half recipe below.  It is easily doubled for a 9x13.
Baked Beans

2 cans of pork and beans (1, 15oz can; 1, 28oz can)
1 medium onion, chopped (yellow or sweet onion)
1 tablespoon butter (for sauteing onions)
scant 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar 
4-6 slices uncooked bacon, each cut in half or thirds

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees f. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

2.  Sauté onions over medium to medium-high heat in butter until onions are tender and translucent.  Mix beans, sautéed onions, ketchup, mustard, honey and brown sugar until blended well. Pour in prepared baking dish. Top with uncooked bacon in single layer. Bake on middle rack of oven, uncovered, for 1.5-2 hours.  Beans are ready when the top is dark and caramelized. Serve warm. Enjoy!

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: