Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lemon Chicken with Olives and Ricotta


I receive a gift subscription of the magazine "Better Homes and Gardens" and this recipe is from their recipe section.  It caught my eye because it looked simple and   yummy, and I usually have all of these ingredients on hand.  I forgot the fresh herbs, but my local store's fresh herb supply is only existant once a month or so.  (I do live on a small island in the middle of nowhere.)  I LOVE all kinds of olives, but I think one cup is probably too much for this recipe.... maybe 2/3 cup would be better.  (I'll include that change below.)  If you don't want to use the lasagna noodles, this would probably be good with fettucini or something similar. 

This was well-recieved by my oldest child, only half-recieved by my middle child, and my youngest child refused to touch it at all and insisted on eating only salad instead.  The child has never tried salad in his life.  Goober.......  My husband said "It was way better than I thought it would be!"  Goober!  I, personally, liked it; it was something a little different, it was easy, and I didn't have to print off the recipe or drag the laptop down into the kitchen.  :) 

Lemon Chicken with Olives and Ricotta
adapted from BHG

8 No-boil (oven ready) lasagna noodles
1 lemon
8 small skinless, boneless chicken tenders
2/3 cup garlic-stuffed or pitted green olives
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
salt and pepper
Fresh Rosemary (optional)

1. In Dutch oven bring 3 inches water to boiling. Add noodles and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Cover. Cook 6 minutes or until tender; drain. Lay noodles in single layer on waxed paper. Cover; set aside.

2. Meanwhile, shred peel from lemon; halve lemon. Juice 1 half, cut remaining into wedges. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and 1/2 of lemon peel. In skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook 10 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once. Add olives; heat through. Remove from heat.

3. In microwave-safe bowl combine ricotta, the lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute, stirring once.  If still luke-warm, microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute more. 

4. Spoon ricotta mixture into pasta bowls. Top with noodles, chicken, and olive mixture, remaining lemon peel, and the fresh rosemary. Pass lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.


**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: