Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Alfajores- My First Attempt

I've been wanting to make Alfajores- Dulce de Leche filled sandwich cookies, for a long time, and finally did so a few days ago when we had some friends over.  I tried this recipe

That blogger made some perfect-looking cookies with that recipe, but the dough wasn't being very nice to me.  It was so soft... I added extra flour, but didn't want to add too much, since I didn't want the dough to be tough.  I tried to chill the dough and roll it out, but it didn't work... it was still a goopy mess after a few minutes at room temp.  Next, I rolled the dough into a log, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and stuck it in the freezer.  After a while, I took it out, sliced it and baked it.  It was still too soft to really slice well, but it worked better than rolling out.  It also spread a lot in the oven.  I wonder if the soft dough had anything to do with the high humidity here.  I won't bother including the recipe; you can click on the blog link above if you're interested.  Now my quest will be to find an Alfajores recipe that actually works for me!

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

4 comments:

Linda said...

You may have had trouble with the dough, but the cookies are gorgeous and look delicious.

How did you get the powdered sugar so perfect on top? And what kind of dulce de leche did you use?

What a Dish! said...

Linda, thanks! I sprinkled the powdered sugar through a small metal strainer (like a sieve). I used a local brand of Dulce de leche in a can, but I think it might be Nestle.

Debbie said...

They look delicious even if the dough did not work out well. I have always wanted to make this cookie but never have...

LadyJayPee said...

I don't want to make them, but I do want to eat them! :)