Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

This year, we didn't buy one of those grocery store egg-coloring kits for Easter.  Instead, we used ingredients already in our pantry and produced some of the brightest, most beautiful eggs I'd ever seen.  We were in a hurry, so we only did four colors- red, yellow, blue, and green.  I'm excited to make new and different colors next year.  All you need for this is liquid food coloring, vinegar (I used cider vinegar) and boiling water.  Oh, and hard-boiled eggs.  :)  I followed the instructions on my McCormick food coloring box.  I also found the instructions online here

Easter Eggs
from McCormick

1 dozen large eggs
McCormick® Assorted Food Colors and Egg Dye
Vinegar

1.  Hard boil the eggs:  Gently place eggs in single layer in large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Cover. Bring just to boil on high heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes. (Adjust time up or down by 3 minutes for each size larger or smaller.)

2. Pour off hot water and rapidly cool eggs by running them under cold water (or place in ice water) until completely cooled.

3. Mix 1/2 cup boiling water, 1 teaspoon vinegar and 10 to 20 drops food color in a cup to achieve desired colors. Repeat for each color. Dip hard-cooked eggs in dye for about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon, wire egg holder or tongs to add and remove eggs from dye. Allow eggs to dry.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Wow those are vibrant colors!! I think I'm going to give that a shot aswell..have u ever done the silk tie eggs? those are beautiful and something I want to try aswell

Happy Easter!