Friday, July 23, 2010

Baked Chicken Nuggets

My kids love chicken nuggets, but they are usually a not-so-healthy food.  When you make them at home, though, they can be so much healthier.  These are coated in a combo of wheat germ and Panko bread crumbs, and then baked with just a tiny spritz of olive oil (using my Misto).  I made some Honey Mustard Dip to dip them into, and also put ketchup on the table.  (One of my kids liked these so much that he didn't want the flavor to be masked by any dip or sauce).  These were eaten up SO fast- I thougtht I had made a ton but I guess I need to make more next time. 

Instead of chicken breasts, I used chicken tenderloins and cut each one into about 3 pieces.  This makes the nuggest super tender and easy to eat.  I also cut the chicken while it was still frozen- it's much easier this way.  Just make sure to use your best, sharpest knife.  If tenderloins are not available (I just get a big bag of frozen ones), then use chicken breasts and cut them into 1-inch pieces.

Baked Chicken Nuggets
adapted from Allrecipes

10-12 chicken tenderloins, cut into one-inch pieces (about 3 pieces per tenderloin)
1 egg, beaten
1-2 splashes of milk
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
Cooking spray
olive oil

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Lightly spray a large baking pan with cooking spray. 

2.  In one shallow bowl, beat the egg and milk together.  In another shallow bowl, mix the Panko crumbs, wheat germ, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. 

3.  Dip each chicken piece first in the egg/milk, and then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.  Set on the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with all of the chicken pieces.  When they are all done, spray each chicken piece very, very lightly with olive oil.

4.  Bake for about 10 minutes.  Take out of the oven, and flip each chicken nugget over.  Bake for 3-5 more minutes, or until done.  Serve with assorted dipping sauces.  *Makes about 30 or so nuggets.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

4 comments:

JelliDonut said...

I love chicken nuggets! These sound delicious and I don't have any little ones at home. Gonna make them anyway.

LadyJayPee said...

Do you think 10-12 tenderloins equals about 1 pound?

What a Dish! said...

I have no idea Jpee; it sounds like it might be close. I don't even have any tenderloins in my freezer right now to check!

LadyJayPee said...

Oh I just looked at the AR version and they used 4 chicken breasts. (I'm assuming they mean 4 chicken breast halves.)