Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Eyeballs

I recieved this recipe through an Email from Food.com.  Sometimes I don't even bother opening and reading newsletters, but I did this time, and I'm glad.  :)  These adorable Halloween eyeballs were in there, and I would not have wanted to miss these. 

My white chocolate melted kind of lumpy, so some of these are "Lumpy Halloween Eyeballs", but that's ok, because they are even more creepy that way.  I had trouble with the red decorating gel; my bloodshot marks look kind of thick and funky, but oh well.  I left some eyes "plain" because of that.  My 4-year old son had a blast helping make these.  When my husband got home, my son led him to the fridge (where they are being stored), opened it, gestured with a flourish, and said "Eyeballs!!!  Ta-da!!" 

Halloween Eyeballs
from Food .com

1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/8 ounces Butterfinger bar, finely chopped
12 ounces white chocolate or 12 ounces vanilla candy coating
40 M&M's plain chocolate candy
red decorating gel
black decorating gel

 1.  In a mixing bowl stir together peanut butter and butter until creamy.  Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until combined.  Stir in Butterfinger candy.  Shape into 1-inch balls; place on waxed paper.  Freeze about 45 minutes.

2.  Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or, make your own double boiler.  Set an heat-proof bowl above a sauce pan of hot, or not-quite-simmering water.  Add chocolate to bowl or pan, and stir constantly until melted and smooth.  Dip balls, one at a time, into coating. Let excess coating drip off.  I use a toothpick to spear each ball and then dip it.  Tap the side of the toothpick against the chocolate bowl to help the excess get off. 

3.  Place on waxed paper, immediately press an M&M onto center of each peanut butter ball.  Refrigerate until coating is firm.

4.  Using red decorating gel, draw bloodshot marks on each eyeball.  Add a dot of black gel to the center of M&M pieces for pupils.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com **

No comments: