Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Swedish Pancakes

We used up some of our leftover homemade cranberry sauce as a topping for these Swedish Pancakes for last Sunday breakfast.  The combo was SO good!  Before, when we've made Swedish pancakes, we've served them with Ikea Lingonberry Preserves, but the texture and flavor of that is similar to homemade cranberry sauce, so this worked very well.  Plus, I think we've been out of Lingonberry preserves for a while now anyway.  :) 

The recipe I was following called for a huge amount of milk.  I added half, and that seemed to be enough- the batter was very thin.  I added a splash more and proceeded with the recipe.  I don't know what would have happened if I had added all of the milk, but it worked out very well my way.  The recipe posted below reflects my changes.  Hopefully these are still somewhat authentic and everything.  :)  They're very crepe-like.  To cook them, I used a non-stick skillet, lightly greased.  I poured a generous 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan and swirled it around.  Cook until a tiny bit browned on one side, and then flip and cook the other side.  A flexible rubber spatula, as well as a pancake turner, are helpful to have on hand while making these. 

Swedish Pancakes
adapted from Food .com
makes 10-12 pancakes

3 eggs
1 1/3 cups low-fat milk
1 1/4 cups flour (I used 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted

1.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the milk.  Beat in flour and salt until smooth.  Stir in melted butter.

2.  Heat a nonstick skillet with a small amount of vegetable oil (I used cooking spray).  For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the pan.  Tilt pan to coat evenly with batter.  Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes.

3.  With a spatula, turn the pancakes and cook until golden brown, about 1/2 minute.  Serve immediately or keep warm while making the remaining pancakes.


**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: