Saturday, November 20, 2010

Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Pancakes

I love buttermilk pankcakes, and I also love vanilla beans.  When I saw this recipe I thought what a great idea it was to combine the two.  When I read the recipe the first time, I just skimmed the instructions.  I didn't realize until I was actually making these that you are supposed to separate the yolk and egg white, and beat each one, etc.  I was in somewhat of a rush making these, so I decided to skip that part, and it was fine.  I just mixed the eggs in whole.  The pancakes were still good.  However, if you have extra time, you can do the whole separating the egg and the pancakes will probably turn out even lighter and fluffier! 

I used half whole-wheat pastry flour for these, as I always do with pancakes, and the results were good.  I also added a little of my homemade vanilla extract, for that added vanilla flavor. 

Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk (or one cup milk and one cup plain yogurt)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean

1.  Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.

2.  Using a sharp pointed knife, slit the vanilla bean lengthwise down the middle. Grasp the end of the vanilla bean, holding it open with your fingers. Take your knife and scrape away from you, scraping the soft interior of the vanilla bean onto your knife.

3.  Separate yolks and whites. Beat the whites with an electric hand mixer until firm but soft peaks are formed. Set aside. Beat yolks with the same hand mixer – just for a moment and then add the buttermilk and oil.

4.  Mix in flour mixture with a whisk, add the vanilla bean and whisk until blended. Gently fold in the egg whites.

5.  Cook the pancakes on a hot griddle. Serve immediately with real maple syrup.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: