Sunday, November 21, 2010

Orzo with Parmesan & Basil

My family loves this pasta dish.  I make it often, as it is easy and I always have the ingredients on hand.  Well, I don't always have fresh basil, but if I don't, dried works just fine.  I use half whole wheat orzo if I have it; I can't get it anymore, but when I lived in the States, I ordered it from Amazon.  The picture above is with half wheat, half white orzo.  I double this recipe for my family; if we have guests, I triple it.  I've even quadrupled it before.  :)  But I don't always scale the parmesan to that amount if I'm increasing it; that would be too much!
 
Note: I made this again 12/12 and had no Parmesan on hand, but I did have a lot of shredded Spanish Manchego cheese.  I used that and it was just as delicious!!!  Pictured below. 
manchegoW
Orzo with Parmesan & Basil

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can use Manchego cheese)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1.Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.

2.Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.

3.Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Linda said...

Awesome photo! Looks delicious.