Sunday, May 15, 2011

Oreo & Peanut Butter Truffles

I made Oreo Truffles again, and this time, I only had 6 oz. of cream cheese (actually, Neufchatel) on hand.  To make up the difference, I used peanut butter.  At first I used 1/3 cup pb, but the mixture was too dry, so I added more, probably for a total of about 1/2 cup.  Start with 1/3 cup, and then add more as needed to make a mixture with a sugar-cookie dough texture. 

I had a hard time with melting the chocolate this time around- I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had to try three times to get it right.  It seized on me the first two times.  :(  Finally, it worked well using a new, un-opened bag of semi-sweet chips.  Maybe it was the humidity here.  Who knows.  It's been pretty easy before, though, so don't be scared.  If you've never melted chocolate before, you can read these tips, or find your own on the internet.  I'm not a fan of using the microwave for this, but I know many do like it, and obviously, I'm no expert.  :)   (My absolute favorite way to eat these truffles is dipped in melted white chocolate- but that is really hard for me to do now for some reason.  I can melt a small amount just fine- I did that for the drizzle, but a larger amount seems to seize quickly on me). 
Oreo & Peanut Butter Truffles

1 package (about 1 lb. 2 oz, or so) chocolate creme-filled sandwich cookies (Oreos), finely crushed (in food processor)
6 ounces Neufchatel or cream cheese, softened
1/3-1/2 cup peanut butter (use more of less as needed.  I used natural pb)
1 bag (10-12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (may need more or less than this)

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine crushed cookies and cream cheese to form a stiff dough that is not too dry- like sugar cookie dough. (A stand mixer works well for this). From balls (I use my smallest cookie scoop). Roll in your hands to form a perfect ball and set on a large, wax-paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate or freeze until firm.

2. In a large heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt chocolate chips. You may need more or less. Dip with a fork or toothpick in melted chocolate. Tap off excess. Let rest on waxed paper until set. If you want to decorate with sprinkles: add while chocolate is still wet. If you wish to decorate with a white chocolate drizzle: wait till chocolate is dry and then add the drizzle. Store in fridge.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: