Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Homemade Turkey Sausage Patties

Ever think of making your own turkey sausage at home?  No more salt-heavy, weird chewy meat full of nitrates and nitrites!!  Yeah!  Thanks to a cooking friend for making this recipe first; I'm so glad I have this recipe now!  We had these for dinner the other day with waffles.  I was going to make a fruit salad too, to blance out the meal more, but I forgot.  At least we had orange juice! 

These taste SO good- just like a turkey sausage, but so much better.  I forgot that my cooking friend doubled the spices, so you may want to do that when you make these.  I'll include a range of spice measurements in my recipe post below; choose either heavy or light on the spices.  One thing I did do was reduce the salt- from 3/4 teaspoon to 1/2, and it was just fine.  I could have used less, even, but I liked it that way and will probably use 1/2 tsp. in the future. 

Use regular ground turkey for this recipe- NOT ground turkey breast.  Ground turkey breast has too little fat and will be extremely dry and flavorless.  You need some dark meat here, and regular ground turkey has that.  As a bonus, a pound of ground turkey is only $1 here!  It will still be WAY healthier than fatty pork sausauge.  I scaled down the original recipe to use only one pound of ground turkey; if you want to use 2 lbs, click on the link to the original recipe.
Homemade Turkey Sausage Patties
adapted from Allrecipes

1 pound ground turkey
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 teaspoon dried sage
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (add more if you want!)
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (add more if you want)

1.In a large bowl, mix together the ground turkey, ginger, salt, sage, cayenne pepper, and black pepper until well blended. (Using your hands makes sure everything is incorporated- although doing this is super gross.  You gotta do what you gotta do, though).  *Mixture can be formed into patties ahead of time, if needed, set on a large platter, covered well, and refrigerated overnight.

2.Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Form the turkey sausage into patties (I got 8-9 patties out of one pound), and fry until browned on both sides, and no longer pink in the center. This should take about 15 minutes.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: