Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pork Stroganoff!

Yes, it's a real thing!  It's good, too.  I'm trying to use up things from my freezer that have been in there a while.  I had some packages of pork that were supposed to be used for Schnitzel.  I did make schnitzel with some, but the meat was so tough that it was hard to eat.  Maybe it was my fault; I don't know, but it did not make me want to try again.  I wanted to get rid of that meat, though, and I figured the best way would be slow-cooking it, to make it tender.  I thought of the recent Beef Stroganoff I had made, and decided I would try Pork Stroganoff.  I used the same recipe, with one modification- I added a dash of Worcester sauce, to add a more "beefy" flavor to the dish.  BTW, I also googled "Pork Stroganoff" and there are lots of recipes out there!  So this isn't really a new thing, and I'm not the only one!  Lol!  We served this over Spaetzle noodles. 

Pork Stroganoff
recipe modified from here
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds pork, trimmed and cut into thin strips
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cans (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth (consomme)
1/2 teaspoon mustard
3 tablespoons tomato chili sauce
dash of Worcester sauce
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1-2 cups sour cream (8-16 ounces) (add to taste)
Cooked noodles
Chopped fresh parsley

1. Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a plastic bag. Shake pork strips in bag until well coated. (I just combined in a bowl).

2. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown half the pork at a time. Dump into slow cooker . Add onion and garlic; cook until tender (I cooked onion & garlic with the second batch of pork). To the slow cooker, add broth, mustard, chili sauce, Worcester sauce, and mushrooms, if using*; cover and cook until the pork is tender-4-5 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low. (I did about 4 hours on High, and then 1 hour on low.) Stir occasionally. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Serve immediately over noodles. Garnish with chopped parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings

*May want to wait to add the mushrooms- since I don't cook with them, I'm not sure of a good time to add them to the slow cooker.  Maybe one hour before serving? 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: