Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Banana Bread

This is a recipe I made up by combining and changing a few different recipes.  I came up with this recipe about 8 or 9 years ago, when I first started getting into cooking and trying to eat mostly whole grains.  As I've discovered new and different food items, like whole wheat pastry flour and Greek yogurt, I've incorporated them into this recipe.  After a long hiatus from making this, I decided to return to it the other day when I had 3 black bananas and some Greek yogurt in the fridge.  I was glad I did- I really enjoyed this both fresh out of the oven and on the followind days, lightly toasted with butter.  It's tasty, filling, not too sweet, and pretty good for you, too.  I store this in the fridge because of the moistness. 

The recipe is supposed to be made in a 9x5 pan, but I wanted to use my fave 8 inch bread pan, so with the leftover batter, I made a mini-loaf of banana bread.  I'm not sure on the size- it was one of those mini disposable aluminum pans.  It was perfect for giving away!  ;)

Note:  The recipe below calls for whole wheat pastry flour- regular whole wheat is fine.  It will just be a bit heavier.  It also calls for Greek yogurt- but regular plain yogurt is fine, too.  Don't even bother draining it or anything.  I used to make this with regular ww flour and regular plain yogurt, and it was still good.  I also have made this with ALL whole wheat flour and it's still good. 
My Banana Bread
by What a Dish!

2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 large eggs
3-4 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (can use regular whole wheat)
1 cup white flour (can use all whole-wheat flour)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsley chopped walnuts or pecans

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

2.  Mix sugar, butter and applesauce in a large bowl (can use a mixer). Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flours, wheat germ, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts.

3.  Pour into pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

2 comments:

chicklegirl said...

This really looks delish--and I definitely want to give it a try because I have gestational diabetes and I'm super-sensitive to white flour! Any idea where I could find whole wheat pastry flour here in the states?

What a Dish! said...

Chicklegirl- your local Fred Meyer should have it. Actually, I used to buy it there ALL the time when I lived there. It was in the natural foods section- Bob's Red Mill Brand. I actually have to order mine online now because I can't get it over here, lol! It makes the best pancakes, too, and muffins, etc. I use it all the time.