Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fatoosh- Lebanese Bread Salad

This salad was soooo good and flavorful- I loved it.  We had it with these Lebanese Chicken Skewers and it complemented the meal perfectly.  (You can see more photos of this salad in that post).  The recipe called for Pita bread, but the stuff I can buy here is not tasty, and since I make Naan all the time, I just made a batch of that.  I cut up two for the salad and we ate the rest with this meal. 

I tried Sumac for the first time when I made this- I bought mine online at Penzeys.com; they have almost every spice you can think of!  I love Sumac- it's almost lemony. 

I will definitely be making this salad again! 

Fatoosh- Lebanese Bread Salad
adapted from Allrecipes

2 pita breads (or naan)
8 leaves romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
2 green onions, chopped
1 cucumber, halved and sliced
3 tomatoes, cut into wedges (or handful halved grape tomatoes)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons sumac powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves

1.  If using pitas, toast them 5 to 10 minutes in a 350 degree F oven, until crisp. Remove from heat, and break into bite size pieces.  If using naan, just grill and then cut or tear into bite-sized pieces.

2.  In a large bowl, toss together toasted pita (or naan) pieces, romaine lettuce, green onions, cucumber, and tomatoes.               

3.  In a small bowl, mix the parsley, garlic, sumac powder, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and mint. Pour over the pita mixture, and toss just before serving.               



**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yum! I just eyed some WW naan in the store today - now I have a good excuse to buy it!