Friday, June 8, 2012

Fruit Pizza with Mascarpone

I've made Fruit Pizza a few times before, but never used Mascarpone to top it with, so I'm posting it here because I liked it so much.  I'm never going back to cream cheese or frosting; Mascarpone is the way to go!!  This Italian soft cheese has a naturally sweet tang.  Just using this alone for the topping provided great flavor, and no sugar is needed.  The Mascarpone + cookie crust + fruit is just sweet enough.  For local readers, I buy Mascarpone at Continente.  It comes in little tubs.

All that was available at the store the day I needed to make this were kiwis and strawberries, which I was kind of disappointed about at first, but I really love the way these turned out!  And, the strawberries were local and very good!
Fruit Pizza with Mascarpone
Crust from here
Easily doubled for 2 pizzas; if doubling, use 1 whole egg

Crust:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1.In a large bowl, cream together the butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg yolk and stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; blend into the creamed mixture. Cover and chill for at least two hours (optional).

2.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Roll the dough out, or pat it out into a lightly greased pizza pan.

3.Bake anywhere from 8-15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Cool

Note:  Easily doubled for 2 fruit pizzas.  If doubling, use one whole egg.

Topping:
1/2- 3/4 cup Mascarpone cheese, room temp
Cut fruit of your choice

1.  Spread the Mascarpone on your cooled crust, as thin or thick as you want.  Layer on the fruit in a decorative pattern.

fruity
Fruit pizza me and my mom made, Aug. 2013.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

chicklegirl said...

I need to try this with my kids. Do you do it as a meal, or for dessert?

What a Dish! said...

The kids like it so much it could be a meal, lol, but we usually have it for dessert. :) It's really good esp. after a summer barbecue or something.