Monday, June 8, 2009

Greek Pesto Pizza

I love Greek flavors, and they are especially good in pizza. Where we used to live, there was a really fun restaurant that specialized in wood-fired pizzas. We discovered it not long before we moved, so we only got to go there twice. But both times, I ordered their Greek Pesto Pizza. I re-created it at home last Saturday. I was missing sun-dried tomatoes (didn't realize I was out!) so I subbed baby cherry tomatoes, cut in half. It was yummy this way, too. Kalamatas would be good on this, but for a few reasons I just used regular black olives. Kalamatas next time! (I just used a standard size can of olives, and I don't know the exact size, since the can's been gone a few days now.)

I used Cook's Illustrated recipe for pizza dough, and it was yummy and fast to make. Use whatever crust you like for this recipe. I made two large pizzas.

Greek Pesto Pizza

1 recipe pizza dough of your choice
homemade basil pesto, between 1/2 and 1 cup
8 ounces feta cheese, sliced
1 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
1 can black olives, drained
1 14. oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cups small cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, thinly sliced

Place your pizza crusts on 2 pizza pans, or a pizza stone. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread basil pesto evenly over both crusts. Top with slices of feta cheese, and then shredded mozzarella. Add artichoke hearts over the cheese. Place the red onions on your pizzas, followed by the halved cherry tomatoes and whole olives. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is browned to your liking.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

4 comments:

Shelby said...

This is my kind of pizza Dishy! Looks so yummy with all those veggies and cheese!

LadyJayPee said...

Ahhh, I'm so glad you posted this! Thank you!

Linda said...

Oh I bet the kalamatas would be good! I must make some pesto and try this.

Was it the Cook's Illustrated rolled pizza dough?

Debbie said...

That looks like a wonderful "loaded" pizza!