adapted from Eating, Etc.
2T olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup onion, chopped
1 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes
1T ground cumin
1-1/2tsp chili powder
1-2 bay leaves
3 cups chicken stock or broth
sprinkle cayenne pepper
1-2 raw chicken breast(s)
1/4c fresh cilantro, chopped
1T olive oil
4-8 yellow or white corn tortillas, cut into julienne strips
shredded cheese, sour cream, cubed avocados and fresh lime wedges, to garnish, along with tortilla strips
1) In medium saucepan, over medium heat, sauté garlic, and onion, in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
2) Place the onions and garlic in the crockpot and add the diced tomatoes, raw chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, chicken stock/broth, salt, & cayenne pepper. Stir together and cover the crockpot. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is tender.
3) Shred chicken into big chunks using 2 forks.
4) In a medium skillet, over medium heat, sauté tortilla strips in batches, stirring constantly until slightly crisped. Set aside.
5) Remove bay leaves from soup and stir in fresh cilantro.
6) Serve with the optional garnishes.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **