Monday, June 7, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs

The kids have enjoyed watching "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" lately.  Like, almost every day.  It's almost too much for me.  Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to make them Spaghetti with Meatballs.  They were a big hit, except with my pickiest child, who found the meatballs to be "too spicy", due to the Italian Sausage used.  It's ok though.. I think he thinks garlic powder is too spicy!  My youngest sat at the table, long after everyone else was done, and proceeded to eat every last meatball in the pan. 

I had to adapt this recipe to what I had (or didn't have) around the house. 

Spaghetti and Meatballs
adapted from Chaos in the Kitchen

2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced, as desired
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine (or, in my case, water)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 lb ground chuck
1 lb bulk italian sausage
2 eggs
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or made into a paste
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup dried parsley
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper (I didn't add any salt)
spaghetti noodles

1.Heat oil over medium in a large pot. Saute onion until clear then add garlic and cook until soft.

2.Add tomatoes and season with some salt and pepper. Simmer while making the meatballs

3.In a large bowl, use a fork to thoroughly mash and combine beef, sausage, eggs, garlic, bread crumbs, parsley, and parmesan cheese.

4.Form walnut sized meatballs and sear in a large, hot skillet. (To form meatballs, I found it helpful to use my medium cookie scoop.  Scoop us the meat, and then form a round, somewhat packed ball with your hands).  Once all sides are browned, deglaze with a splash of red wine (or water, or beef broth).

5.Add meatballs, gently, to sauce to finish cooking. Add red wine (water, broth, etc) and parmesan cheese to sauce.

6.Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a handful of salt and spaghetti noodles.

7.Once noodles are al dente, 8-12 min depending on your noodles, reserve 1 cup of water from the pot and drain.

8.Add water to sauce as needed to thin (I didn't need any). Taste and season with salt as needed. Serve!
 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: