Monday, July 26, 2010

Homemade "Maple" Syrup

Real maple syrup is lovely, and I use if almost all the time.  I cannot stand the storebought fake maple syrup junk, full of corn syrup and preservatives.  So, if I find myself with some waffle batter going, and no real maple syrup on hand (like I did the other day), I whip up a batch of this syrup.  It is super easy and cheap to make, as long as you can find maple flavoring. 

Homemade "Maple" Syrup
adapted from Allrecipes

1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon maple flavored extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Bring the water, white sugar, and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.  Turn off the heat and stir in the maple flavoring and vanilla extract.  Serve warm or cold.  Store extra in fridge. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I make mine the same way minus the vanilla extract..might add that the next time. We really love the homemade syrup way more than the store bought kind.