Monday, July 26, 2010

Tender Buttermilk Waffles

Sometimes, it's fun to have breakfast for dinner.  That is what we did a few days ago, and I tried these waffles.  They were really yummy and tender- and they made a TON!  I still have batter leftover in the fridge, after two hungry adults and three hungry kids had their share.  My pickiest eater had 3 of these babies!  (Although, he did have them pretty plain, with just a tiny bit of butter on top). 

I made these all in one (big) mixing bowl- I didn't even bother pre-mixing the wet ingredients (I did pre-mix the dry, though).  These are way easier than other buttermilk waffle recipes I've tried where you have to beat egg whites and yolks seperately. 

I left the recipe pretty much alone- except I used half whole wheat pastry flour.  :)  I also used about half the amount of salt called for, because my butter was salted. 

Tender Buttermilk Waffles

4 cups flour (can use half white, half whole wheat pastry flour)
2-4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1 quart (4 cups) buttermilk
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted (if using salted butter, cut back on salt in recipe)

1. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

2.  In a second bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk together until light and fluffy. Add the melted butter or oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together for about 20 seconds. Take care not to overstir or the waffles will become tough.

3.  Preheat your waffle iron, lightly spraying with cooking spray.  Using a scoop or a measuring cup (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup per waffle), pour batter into middle of the bottom plate and close the top.  Wait 2 to 4 minutes and once the batter has stopped steaming, lift the lid to see if its brown enough to your liking. If the top doesn't raise easily, the waffle probably needs more cooking as the waffle should release when it's done. Try letting it go for another minute or two before checking it again. If it still doesn't release, gently pry out, exercising caution not to become burned or damage your waffle iron.

4.  Eat while hot with your favorite topping.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Katy said...

What a lovely surprise to hear from you the other day. I had a big SMILE on my face when I saw your name. Glad you enjoyed these waffles. They are very good indeed. Buttermilk is so good! Wishing you and yours all the very best, always!