Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chocolate Almond Cookies

While looking through my sister's recipes this summer, I came upon this one.  It looked so good with the chocolate-almond flavor that I decided to make it soon after I got home.  My sister says these are good with different chips, and if you want a choco-pb cookie, leave out the almond flavor (maybe sub vanilla) and use peanut butter chips.  I used two chopped white chocolate bars, since I can't get white chocolate chips here.  (Real white choco chips are getting pretty hard to find anyway, in the U.S.)  The recipe has optional nuts; I left them out since I was making these for a group of people. 

I made these twice; the first time, I used dark cocoa powder, and really liked how they turned out.  (The photo shows the cookies made with dark cocoa).  The second time, I used regular cocoa powder.  I also tried making them into a plain chocolate sugar cookie by leaving out the white chocolate, but they are definitely better with the white chocolate. 

Chocolate Almond Cookies
from TOH, via my sister

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (6 ounces) real white chocolate chips (or chopped bar)
1 cup chopped almonds, optional

1.  Preheat the oven to 375°.  In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and extract; mix well.

2.  Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chips and optional nuts.

3.  Drop by teaspoonfuls (I used my regular cookie scoop) onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Cool on pans for 1 minute before removing to wire racks; cool completely. Yield: about 4 or 5 dozen.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: