Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grilled Nectarines

We first tried grilling fruit about three years ago, and started with fresh, tree-ripe peaches from my Aunt's tree.  They were SO GOOD; it opened up a whole new world of things to grill!  Ok, though, we've mostly stuck to peaches, pineapple, and now, nectarines!  The nectarines were kind of by accident; my local store had no peaches when I wanted them, so I got the next best thing.  They were so good, though, that now we grill nectarines on purpose.  :) 

I first tried this recipe; though I use it as more of a rough guide than actually following the recipe.  Had I not seen that recipe on AR though; I don't know if I would have ever thought of grilling peaches or nectarines!

The nectarines are a tiny bit difficult to separate cleanly, but not too bad.  Just cut down the seam, and kind of twist the two halves apart.  At least one side should come off the pit cleanly.  You may have to dig the pit out of the other side with a dessert spoon, but it's not hard.  Don't grill too long; you don't want to overcook the fruit.

Grilled Nectarines
adapted from Allrecipes

4 nectarines or peaches, halved and pitted
1/2 cup soft cream cheese, or to taste
2 tablespoons honey, or to taste

1.Preheat a grill for medium-high heat (or use the hot grill after a grilled meal). 

2.Brush peaches with a light coating of oil (or just oil your grill, like we do).  Place pit side down onto the grill. Grill for 2-5 minutes, or until the surfaces have nice grill marks.  Turn the fruit over, and drizzle with a bit of honey.  Place a dollop of the cream cheese spread in the place where the pit was.  Grill for 1 more minute, or until the filling is slightly warm.  Serve immediately.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Linda said...

I had forgotten about that recipe--nectarines reall seem like a natural choice. Great pic!