Thursday, August 12, 2010

Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt

This frozen yogurt is SO good!  I saw it over at Eating, Etc's blog and was glad I finally took the oppurtunity to make it yesterday.  This is so simple- there's no cooking involved, so it's easier than the custard-based ice creams I usually make.  The recipe calls for low-fat yogurt and Neufchatel cheese, but I only had access to full-fat Greek Yogurt (well, I think they actually add extra fat in the form of cream... it's really good, creamy German-made Greek yogurt that I buy).  I also forgot to get the Neufchatel, so I used regular, full-fat cream cheese. 

For the strawberry coulis (basically an easy, no-cook strawberry sauce) I used my immersion blender, and the measuring cup it came with.  I just made up the sauce right in that measuring cup.  Then, I had my full-size blender clean to whip up the yogurt base. 

We tried some fresh out of the ice cream maker and that was really good.  Then, we froze the rest and that was just as good.  The recipe Eating, Etc. used is a half-recipe, and I used the same amounts.  I want to make the full amount because it was gone so fast with my family, but I think it might be too much for my fairly small ice cream maker. 

Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt
from FWF via Eating, Etc.

The Strawberry Coulis:

1 cup strawberries, washed & hulled (frozen or fresh)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar

1) Place all ingredients in blender & process until smooth. Set aside in fridge.  (Or, blend with an immersion blender).

The Frozen Yogurt

2c 2% milk-fat Greek yogurt
4oz (1/2-brick) Neufchatel cheese (do not soften in advance)
6 Tablespoons cold milk
1/2 cup + 1Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1) Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.

2) Cover tightly, & refrigerate for one hour prior to churning.

3) Freeze yogurt mixture according to your ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions (about 15-25 minutes).  Make sure you rmachine isn't struggling at the end.... listen to it and turn it off if it is. 

4) Transfer mixture to a freezer-safe covered storage container.

5) Pour strawberry coulis by tablespoonful over yogurt, to taste.

6) Using two butter knives, cut & swirl the coulis into the yogurt.

7) Cover & freeze. (If not serving immediately, allow container to sit out on counter for several minutes before serving.)

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

LadyJayPee said...

My mouth is watering and I want some right now! :-) Isn't it good?!