Saturday, November 13, 2010

Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I decided to try Brussel Sprouts for the first time a few days ago- I've seen them roasted with balsamic vinegar on other blogs and they looked so good.  I have to admit that I didn't love the brussel sprouts- but I did like them ok, and they are so good for you, and I think this is probably one of the tastiest ways of preparing them, that I am going to try to include them in my diet from time to time.  You only need a few, simple things for this recipe- fresh brussel sprouts, good-quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. 

Only one of my kids ate more than one of these, and even though I didn't love them, my husband and I had no problem polishing off almost a pound of these babies between us. 

To trim the Brussel Sprouts, cut off the end, and peel off any gross-looking outer leaves.  My Brussel Sprouts were tiny, so I just cut them in half, but if yours are large, and you want them to cook faster, you can quarter them.

Balsamic Roasted Brussel Spouts
from My Kitchen Addiction

Brussels sprouts (as many as you like), trimmed and halved
Extra virgin olive oil (about 1-2 tablespoons per pound of Brussels sprouts)
Good quality Balsamic vinegar (about 1 tablespoon per pound of Brussels sprouts)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

1.  Preheat the oven to 375°F (or whatever temperature your other dishes are baking at – just keep an eye on them since the roasting time will vary). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil (optional, for easier cleanup).


2.  Put the Brussels sprouts in the roasting pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and Balsamic vinegar, to taste.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Then, use your fingers to toss the Brussels sprouts and make sure they are evenly coated.


3.  Roast in the oven for about 20-45 minutes (depending on size), until soft and slightly caramelized. Serve immediately. If desired, drizzle with some extra Balsamic vinegar or sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: