Monday, November 15, 2010

Hot Spiced Apple Cider

Here is an easy recipe that will make the whole house smell good.  I put this into my smaller crockpot, and in a few hours we have some hot, deliciously spiced cider to drink.  You could do this on the stovetop, too.  I don't add any sugar to my recipe- apple juice is plenty sweet enough.  Actually, I add a bit of lemon juice to tone down the sweetness of the apple juice.  I use whole spices that are easily fished out when ready to drink, and I throw in a handful of fresh cranberries for their added flavor and color.  Use as much apple juice as you want- I just put 1/2 gallon as something to go by.

Hot Spiced Apple Cider
by What a Dish!

1/2 gallon 100% apple juice (or cider)
3-5 whole cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
handful of fresh or frozen cranberries
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
strips of lemon peel, yellow part only, optional

1.  Pour the apple juice into your crockpot.  Set on Low or High, depending on how when you want to drink this.  Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cranberries.  About 30 minutes before serving, add the lemon juice and strips of lemon peel.  (Add them too soon, and they might make the cider bitter). 

2.  After 2-5 hours, when ready to drink, pour the hot cider into mugs, straining out the spices, cranberries, and lemon peel.  Be careful- it's hot!!  :D
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: