Sunday, February 27, 2011

Berry-Peach Smoothie

We absolutely love smoothies around here.  I mean LOVE them.  The kids like them better than ice cream- no joke.  So do I, kinda.  Well, both products have redeeming qualities, but my kids actually said they like smoothies better than ice cream!  So there.  They beg for me to make smoothies all the time. 

I never use a recipe and just add whatever I have on hand, but decided to guesstimate the measurments as I made one today, so I could post it here.  I will say that one thing I do is always use frozen fruit- it provides such a great texture, slushy and delicious.  Plus, frozen fruit is economical, and it's always easy to find, unlike fresh berries or peaches (espcially where I live!), and you can always have it on hand to whip up a random smoothie.  (I'd save the good fresh berries and peaches, when you can get them, to just eat out of hand.... yum.  I'm yearning.)
Remember- these measurments are very approximate!!  Just throw in whatever you like, and in amounts you want to.  The juice helps it all come together.  However, it still takes a while to blend and become smooth.  I'm usually standing there for at least a few minutes, stopping/starting the blender, stirring down, etc.  Just keep going with it.  (And never get your spoon close to the moving blades!!)  If it's totally not coming together, add a bit more juice and make sure it gets down to the bottom, where the blades are.  If you like Jamba Juice or similar smoothies.... these are better, and waaaaay cheaper!  :)  Plus, you decide what goes into it.  No need for ice, etc.

Berry-Peach Smoothie
by What A Dish!
Serves 2 adults and 3 children :)

2 cups frozen peaches
1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 to 1 cup yogurt, any variety you like (I used raspberry today)
1 cup orange juice

1.  Pour frozen fruit into your blender.  Add the yogurt, and pour the juice over everything.  Blend until fully pureed.  (This may take a while.  Add more juice if needed, and you may need to help it along).
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: