Saturday, March 5, 2011

Avocado Frozen Yogurt

Here is an interesting recipe for you.  I've come across random avocado ice cream or avocado frozen yogurt recipes over the years and came across another one recently.  For some reason, it sounded SO good to me- I just had to make it right away!  Well, after I finally made it (and messed up part of the 1st batch... so I had to start over again) the idea of eating avo-fro-yo was kind of weirding me out.  I couldn't bring myself to eat it. 

My kids seemed excited about it though, so I had my husband give it to them while I was out of the house one night.  Well, the kids LOVED it!!!  They all had seconds, and wanted more.  They ate more than half the batch.  The next day, I had a tiny serving... in a fancy ice cream glass, so I could feel like I was just eating regular ol' ice cream or frozen yogurt.  It wasn't bad!  It is very "fresh" and "green" tasting.  The lime juice helps the flavor of avocado, I think.  I used bottled key lime juice and fresh lemon juice.  I won't be rushing to make this again, but the fact that my kids liked it so much makes me happy.  Plus, my pickiest son said it might be his favorite ice cream ever!  Oh, my husband liked it too.  Not as much as the kids, but still.

*This fro-yo starts out with a cooked custard mix. As with all cooked ice cream bases, you MUST be very careful when adding the eggs back to the hot milk.  Don't stop whisking, don't let the heat be too high, do not let it come to a boil (even a simmer!), and do not let the eggs cook too long, or they will curdle!  This happened to me the 1st time, and I had to throw it out- there is just no way to salvage a curdled, separated, eggy mess.  I've made many ice creams in the past that have cooked eggs, (and never messed up like that) so I'm surprised this happened to me... I'll just say my 4-year old was in the kitchen with me and VERY distracting that day! 

Avocado Frozen Yogurt
from foodess

2 cups whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 large egg yolks
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (use Greek-style yogurt!)
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (optional- I omitted)
1 tbsp finely grated lime zest (optional- I omitted)
2 ripe avocadoes, pitted, peeled and cut in large chunks
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lime juice

1.  In medium saucepan, combine milk and sugar, cooking over medium heat just until sugar dissolves and milk comes to a boil. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks in a medium-sized bowl. Temper the eggs by slowly adding 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the yolks, whisking constantly.

2. Slowly pour yolk mixture into saucepan with remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5-8 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil, or egg will curdle. Pour mixture through strainer into a bowl.  Stir in the yogurt and zests, and let cool for a while.  Refrigerate mixture overnight.

3. In a blender or food processor, puree the avocado with 1 cup of the cooled custard, and the lemon and lime juices. Fold the avocado mixture back into the custard. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer frozen yogurt to a container, cover it, and place in freezer until frozen completely, about 4 hours.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: