Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bacon, Tomato, Basil & Provolone Pasta

I made this pasta dish quite a while ago, when we had both bacon and fresh basil to use up from other dishes.  I threw together some ingredients in my mind and we had this for dinner, with some fruit, I think (it's been a while so I don't really remember!)  I used up some leftover dry pasta; that's why there are three different shapes.  Sometimes I'll have just a bit of bowtie or shell pasta leftover from another recipe. So this dish helped me use up quite a few things that needed using! 

The pasta is almost BLT-esque, and I meant to add black olives as well, but I forgot about them.  It would have been good with that extra saltiness, though.  Feta would also be great in this!

Bacon, Tomato, Basil & Provolone Pasta

10 oz. dry pasta shapes
1 cup (or more) cherry tomatoes, halved
3-4 slices smoked Provolone, chopped
1/2 cup fresh sliced basil
6-8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
2 TBS. red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
shredded Parmesan, to garnish, optional
extra basil, to garnish, optional

1.  Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.

2.  While pasta is cooking, put the cherry tomatoes in a large serving bowl.  Add the Provolone cheese, basil, and cooked bacon and stir gently.  In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. 

3.  Pour cooked pasta over the cheese and tomato mixture, and pour the oil/vinegar dressing over the pasta.  Toss everything together gently to combine.  Garnish with extra basil and shredded Parmesan, if desired.  Serve.  (This is good at room temp, and would also probably be good refrigerated). 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: