Monday, March 21, 2011

Salmon Melt

Sometimes, lately, it's been hard for me to find something to eat for lunch that sounds good, isn't too hard, and is relatively healthy.  I was surfing some recipe sites the other day and I thought that a salmon melt (like a tuna melt, but with salmon instead) sounded SO good, so I looked up a few recipes for inspiration and quickly put together a sandwich for myself.  It was SO GOOD!!  It was just what I was wanting at the time.  The only thing is, since the melt contained cheese, mayo and salmon, it was a little salty, but I was ok with it.  I just drank lots of water.

I found the inspiration on the blog folkmann.ca, which is the blog one of our FAVORITE recipes comes from, Grilled Naan Bread.  (Which I will be making tonight, BTW!)  I looked at his recipe and changed the amounts of everything to make just one sandwich.  I used a ton less cheese, too, just what looked right.  I loved this and will probably have it often for lunch!  I used a small cup of salmon; it looks like this.  Each cup of salmon is 2.8 oz.

PS: Now that I'm more thoroughly reading the original recipe, I realize I was supposed to only mix in the Parm, and leave the cheddar on top- oops!!  I just mixed everything together.  I'm sure it's good both ways.

Salmon Melt
heavily adapted from Folkman

2.8 oz canned salmon, drained
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon mayo
fresh pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar
2 slices whole-grain bread

1.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  (Or, you can use your broiler... but I'm too scared to)

2.  Mix salmon with mayonnaise, lemon juice, pepper, and parmesan cheese.  If desired, add cheddar at this point and mix in, or save it to top the salmon mixture in the oven. 

3.  Lightly toast the two slices of bread.  Spoon the salmon mixture onto 1 piece of the toasted bread. Top with cheddar cheese (if you had set it aside earlier).  Bake, open -face 3 to 4 minutes until cheese melts and is lightly browned.  Remove from the oven and place the remaining slice of bread on top.  Serve with a dill pickle.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: