Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pan-Fried Salmon in Basil-Caper Sauce

Here's another recipe from the blog Eating, Etc.  This salmon is lightly coated in flour, pan-fried, and then served with a lemony, basil-caper cream sauce.  I think my lemon was very acidic, or something, because my half-and-half curdled upon impact (with the skillet).  However, it still tasted good, and I know half-and-half can be finicky (it curdles on me sometimes in other dishes, like homemade tomato soup.  I've come to terms with it).  If you're scared of potential curdling, you could use regular cream, but I'm willing to cut some fat and calories in exchange for curdling once in a while.  (Note- I did use regular half-and-half, NOT fat-free.  Fat free is full of gross chemicals and I don't use it.)  This dish was very good and flavorful and we all liked it (except Picky Kid, who was, of course, scared of the sauce with capers and basil floating in it.  I expected that, too.  I've come to terms with it). 

We had this with brown rice cooked in my homemade chicken stock (yums!) and oven-roasted asparagus (even more yums!!  Recipe to come later). 

Pan-Fried Salmon in Basil-Caper Sauce
adapted from Eating, Etc.

1.5 to 2lbs salmon filets
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
4 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup half-&-half
2-4 Tablespoons capers, drained
4 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
8 Tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped

1) Rinse fish and pat dry. Season with salt & pepper, then dredge in flour.

2) In a large skillet, over medium-high flame, heat olive oil & melt butter.

3) Fry fish, skin-side down first, for 3-5 minutes depending on thickness of fish, until nicely browned. Turn filets over, removing & disposing of skin if any, and fry for 3-5 minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm.

4) Reduce heat to medium and stir wine or broth into skillet, scraping up and stirring in any browned bits.

5) Mix in lemon juice.

6) Stir in half-&-half, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until sauce starts to thicken.

7) Add capers, parsley, & basil and stir for another minute.

8) Serve fish with sauce spooned over it.
 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: