Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tender Butter Beef & Peas

This is such a yummy, simple recipe.  You brown onions and beef in butter, and set them to slow-cook (in an oven or slow cooker) for a while with tomato sauce.  Then add some light cream and peas, and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.  The first time I made this, I used the slow cooker, and the sauce didn't thicken, so the next time I made it, I used the oven.  The sauce did thicken a lot better that way, but I had just got back from the gym and I didn't want to wait longer than 15 minutes to eat... lol, so I took it out before it had thickened enough.  If you have more patience than I do, you can use the slow cooker and thicken the sauce on the stove right before eating.  Or, you can use the oven and just leave it in there until thickened to your preference.  
New pics added Oct. 2018; recipe made with paprika for color & flavor.

To make in the slow cooker, brown the beef and onions on the stove. Transfer to slow cooker with tomato sauce.  At the end, add the peas and cream.  To thicken, turn slow cooker to high and remove lid.  Cook for 15-30 minutes or until thickened to your liking.

The first time I made this, I used all of the butter, but the next time, I was trying to cut out some fat, so I only used about 3 tablespoons butter instead of 6, and it tasted just as good; I couldn't tell the difference.  So I'd just use 3 tablespoons in the future; 2 to brown the beef and onions, and 1 more added to the dish right before baking.  Also, I wasn't sure if my large pot had an oven-safe lid, so I transferred the meat to a casserole dish with a lid before baking.

We had this over mashed potatoes (the combo was so good!) with a green salad on the side.

Tender Butter Beef & Peas
adapted from The Gourmand Mom

1 1/2 pounds Stew Beef
1 small Onion, chopped
4-6 Tablespoons Butter, divided
1 cup Tomato Sauce
1 tsp paprika, optional
1 cup Light Cream
1 cup Frozen Peas
Salt and Pepper to taste (I found it was fine without any added salt)

1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2.  In a large dutch oven or oven-safe pan with a tight fitting lid, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Season the beef with a bit of salt and pepper. Add the beef to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned on all sides.

3.  Add the remaining butter (1-4 tablespoons, depending on how much you decide to use) and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and place on the middle rack of the oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the cover and stir in the peas and cream. Turn the heat up to 375 degrees. Cook for 15 minutes uncovered, until the peas are cooked and the sauce has slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.

(Note: For the slow cooker- brown beef & onions on stove.  Transfer to a small slow cooker, and add the tomato sauce and optional paprika.  Cook on Low for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender.  Add the cream and peas and cook until peas are tender.  If desired, thicken.  To thicken, turn slow cooker to high and remove lid.  Cook for 15-30 minutes or until thickened to your liking.)

4.  Serve over rice or mashed potatoes or hot, buttered noodles.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

No comments: