Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cilantro-Lime Soup

This soup was delicious- and just I needed on a day when I was sick with a cold.  I used homemade chicken stock, and that flavor, along with the cilantro and citrus-y lime, just tasted SO good together.  This is based on a Mexican soup from Yucatan- Sopa de Lima.  I had limes and cilantro leftover from my recent Southwest Burgers, and this light and refreshing soup was just the most perfect way to use them up.  I really, really enjoyed it.  My husband is also sick and he loved it too- he's stealing my daughter's pink thermos today so he can take some leftovers for lunch.  :) 

My kids didn't seem crazy about this, but two of them ate it without really saying anything, so I'll take it.  I'd still make this again, just because the adults liked it so much!!  This is a brothy soup and not terribly filling, but it was just perfect for us as a main dish since we didn't have huge appetites anyway.  To make it more filling, maybe once could add cooked rice (to individual bowls) or a can of rinsed black beans, but I have not tried these ideas.  I really, really love citrus flavors, and cilantro, and this was so easy to make, as well!  Ok, I'll stop going on and on now. 
Cilantro-Lime Soup
adapted from Epicurious (Bon Appétit)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (I used chicken thighs)
4 cups low-salt chicken broth (canned or homemade)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes or 1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro sprigs, rinsed, and tied together with kitchen string.

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Sour cream

1.  Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder; stir 1 minute. Add chicken; stir 2 minutes. Add broth, corn, tomatoes and 1/2 bunch cilantro sprigs to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Discard cilantro sprigs. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

2.  Add chopped cilantro and lime juice to soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish bowls with sour cream.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

LadyJayPee said...

I want to make this! I hope your DH-ies did ok with the pink thermos. :D