This quick bread is moist and tasty, and easy to make. There is not very much fat in it, either, unlike a lot of quick breads. The original recipe called for veggie oil, but I used virgin coconut oil instead- loved it! Don't be like me and use too much lemon juice in the glaze- mine was too thin and pretty much just ran right off the bread. I had to gather up the extra glaze from the cutting board below and pour it back on the bread... over and over again, till it started to firm up and dry a little. I don't know why I added so much liquid... I have made glazes like this before!
adapted from Notes From My Food Diary
Makes one 9×5-inch loaf
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat pastry)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3/4 cup sweetened coconut
2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
For lemon icing:
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease one 9×5-inch loaf. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Stir in coconut.
2. Beat oil, eggs, and milk with an electric mixer in a separate bowl until frothy. Stir in lemon juice. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 40-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Make the icing: Stir together confectioners’ sugar with 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl. Add more lemon juice if it’s too stiff.
5. When the cake is done, let it cool in pan over rack for 10 minutes. Remove pan and let it cool completely on rack before icing it.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **