Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crocodile Cake!

Actually, we're not quite sure if this is a crocodile cake.... this was my middle son's birthday cake about 2 weeks ago, and it started out as a crododile.  Then, he started referring to it as a dinosaur, and then finally a dragon.  So I guess this cake is good for all of your crocodile/dinosaur/dragon cake needs.  Thanks to the Family Fun website, yet again, for another great cake inspiration!  My husband cut up the pound cake and put it together (see above link for instructions); I frosted it, and my son decorated it with M&M's, whoppers, and orange slice candies.  Um, I did the teeth, but there was mocking going on about that.  It's a crocodile, for goodness sake!  It's supposed to have gnarly teeth!  Oh, my husband did the eyes.  He may want credit for that! 

My son wanted a chocolate cake, so I modified my favorite pound cake recipe into a chocolate one by subbing in some cocoa powder for part of the flour.  This recipe always makes a bit too much for my bundt pan, so I always bake some batter in my tiny, 4-inch springform pan- that cake becomes the birthday person's personal cake.  If you don't have a tiny pan, making 2 or 3 cupcakes should do the trick.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake
adapted from Allrecipes- recipe here

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.

2.In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.

3.Add eggs two at a time, beating well with each addition. Add vanilla.  Add the cocoa flour all at once and mix in.

4.Pour into a 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check for doneness at 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted into center of cake will come out clean.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

No comments: