Monday, June 6, 2011

Grilled Naan Bread Pizzas

These were some of the most fun and best-tasting pizzas I've ever had.  :)  I used one of my all-time favorite recipes, Grilled Naan Bread, to create the base of these pizzas- an idea I've had floating around forever, but for some reason, did not try until last week for our pizza Friday.  I divided the dough into 10 pieces instead of 12, so we each had two little pizzas.  I thought the kids would be filled up on only one, but they each ate their two and wanted more!  We also had fresh watermelon and cherries..... I love summertime!  (Although I did pay $5/lb for the cherries and a small, half-watermelon cost over $5, but oh well!  It was worth it!). 

I used the simple pizza sauce from this recipe (scroll down a little), 8 oz. of shredded mozzarella, and on the adult pizzas, I used halved cherry tomatoes and chopped orange bell peppers.  I put (turkey) pepperoni on the kids' pizzas, since that is what they wanted. 

When grilling any kind of pizza, it's important to use a light hand with the toppings.  The toppings will only really get warmed through and the cheese melted.  You won't get browned, crispy cheese using the grill- if you do- the bottom of your crust will probably be in flames by that point.  :)  So, don't pile on the cheese or other toppings.  Eight ounces of mozzarella cheese was more than enough for these 10 little pizzas- we ended up putting extra on some of them to use up the cheese.

Another thing you'll want to do is get all of your toppings ready and placed right by the grill so you can work fast when applying them.  Working fast ensures everything is warmed through on top, and the bottom crust cooked to perfection.  I put my oil in a small bowl with a silicone brush it in, the pizza sauce in a small bowl with a spoon handy, and the toppings in other small bowls. 

That last time I did grilled pizza, I just made two large pizzas, but I really, really prefer this method of making 10 smaller ones- the crust cooks SO much better- crispy and thin on the edges and slightly thicker and chewier in the middle- it was just divine!  However, next time I think I will use the garlic oil from the recipe linked above; I would love some of that flavor on these Naan pizzas- it would have made these even better!! 
Grilled Naan Bread Pizzas

Grilled Naan Bread:
3+ cups plain flour (Can use one cup of whole wheat flour)
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons yeast
2/3 cup warm milk
2/3 cup natural (plain, unsweetened) yoghurt (room temp)
Olive or canola oil for greasing grill grates
3 tablespoons oil or butter, melted (I used olive oil since I was making pizza)

Easy Pizza Sauce:
1 8 Oz Can Tomato Sauce
1 tsp Dry Oregano
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 tsp Dry Basil
1/4 tsp Garlic salt

Pizza Toppings:
8 oz. shredded mozzarella
chopped veggies of your choice
pepperoni, optional

Preparation
1. In a large mixing bowl (I used my Kitchenaid) dissolve the yeast in the milk and sugar, and stir in the yoghurt. Add the flour and stir in the salt and baking powder. Mix thoroughly with the flour to form a dough.

2. Using your Kitchenaid or your hands, knead the dough until it is smooth and only slightly sticky (you might need to add more flour, I did), and place in a bowl covered with a clean cloth. Place in a warm place to rise for 2-4 hours.

3.  Make the pizza sauce: Combine tomato sauce, herbs, and garlic salt in a small bowl.  Cover and let sit at room temp while the dough rises. 

4. Divide the risen dough into 10 equal sized portions and roll them into balls. On a lightly floured surface flatten the balls into oblong shapes, using both hands and slapping the naan from one hand to the other. (Or you can just use a rolling pin; I find that easier.)

4. For grilling: Rub your grill grates with oil. Preheat your grill for 5-10 minutes on high (for gas). You want it nice and hot when that dough comes into contact. Place rolled-out naans onto grill and wait for the one side to cook and brown a little. The raw side should bubble up. Using a silicone brush, brush the raw side with oil or melted butter, and flip over to the other side.

5.  On the cooked side- layer pizza sauce, cheese, and chopped veggies or meat.  Remember to use a light hand!  If you have extra oil, you can brush the edges of each pizza with it.  Close the lid and cook until cheese is melted to your liking, and crust is browned.  
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

2 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

Yum! How did I miss this? I want 10 right now. :)

What a Dish! said...

They are SO GOOD JPee! And pretty convenient; the dough can rise up to 4 hours without being punched down or anything, so you can make it early in the afternoon and it's ready to grill when you get home. Letting it rise for just 1 hour is fine too.