Friday, July 8, 2011

Easy Caramel Corn

At the library last week, my kids spotted a Betty Crocker Kids' Cookbook and wanted to check it out.  We did, and went through the book together when we got home, bookmarking recipes we could make together.  This was the first one we tried.  Some of the "recipes" were things that weren't really recipes, like grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, etc.  But there are some good-looking ones in there, and this was one was delicious!!  The kids did help me make this; but we had to be very careful since this recipe involves stirring a hot sugar mixture, which cookes VERY hot and can be dangerous if you get it on your skin.  Just be careful.  This didn't make very much; it was gone quickly, but it's probably for the best, health wise.  Lol.  One could double it, if needed.  My oven is too small for that, but if I had a huge American oven, I'd totally double it next time.  :) 

I've made Caramel Popcorn Balls a million times, but I've never made a baked caramel corn recipe.  This was so good- like Cracker Jacks but actually yummy!  Lol.  One could add nuts or other peanuts to make it even more Crackers Jack-like.  I used salted butter, and with the extra salt, it had that sweet-salty thing going on which was really delicious. 

Baked Caramel Corn
from Betty Crocker

6 cups popped popcorn (about 1/4 cup unpopped)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup (I used Lyle's Golden Syrup)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used coarse sea salt)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1.  Heat the oven to 200 F.  Put the popped popcorn into a 9x13 pan.  (It says not to grease the pan, but I did, using nonstick cooking spray).

2.  Put the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, sitrring a few times with a wooden spoon, until mixture is bubbly around edges.  Keep cooking over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionaly.

3.  Take the saucepan off the heat.  Stir in the baking soda until mixture looks foamy.  Quickly pour the caramel mixture over popcorn in pan, and stir until popcorn is coated with caramel.

4.  Bake in the oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Cool for 15 minutes before eating.  Store any leftovers in an airtight container. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

2 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I made this last night. Mmmmmm. I've posted the recipe and linked back to your blog on this evenings post.

Thanx for sharing.

China Corn Cob said...

amazing post